Updated: 24 May 2018
At Create Space Adelaide we are committed to protecting your privacy as an online visitor to our website. We use the information we collect about you to maximise the services that we provide you. We respect the privacy and confidentiality of the information provided by you and adhere to the Australian Privacy Principles. You may change your details at any time by advising us in writing via the Contact button in the footer of this website.
information we collect, why we need it and how we use it
We receive information you enter on our website or online shop, or give us in any other way from time to time. We rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use and share your information, including the following:
- You may provide basic contact information such as your name, phone number, address and email address to enable us to provide our services, for example processing and fulfilling your product order, providing you with information required for a workshop you have booked and facilitating that workshop, settling disputes, or providing customer support. The lawful basis for these activities under GDPR is 'contract'.
- You may provide us with basic contact information such as your name and email address when you sign up to our mailing list. We will use this information to send you emails containing news and marketing updates. We will only do this when you have given your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time by clicking the Unsubscribe link in any email you receive from us or by contacting us directly using the Contact button in the footer of this website. The lawful basis for this use of your personal information under GDPR is 'consent'.
- We may use any relevant information you have given us to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law. The lawful basis for these activities under GDPR is 'legal obligation'.
- We may also collect additional information at other times, including but not limited to, when you provide feedback, change your content or email preferences, respond to a survey, or communicate with our customer support. We use this information to provide you the best possible service we can and in our ongoing review and development of our products and services. The legal basis for this under GDPR is 'legitimate interest'.
Any non-personal information, communications and material you send to this website or to us by email or other means, or which we obtain from third parties without promises of confidentiality, may be kept, used and disclosed by us on a non-confidential basis. We are free to use and reproduce any such information freely, and for any purpose whatsoever. Specifically, we will be free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in such information for any purpose, including developing, manufacturing or marketing products.
storage of personal information
We use all reasonable means to protect the confidentiality of any personal data we collect. We will not knowingly share any of your personal information with any third party other than our service providers who assist us in providing the information and/or services we are providing to you, unless required to do so by law, to protect our copyright and other legal rights, or in the event that we sell or merge our business.
The third parties we currently utilise to provide information and services to you are as follows:
- Squarespace hosts our website. As such, the information about your use of our website, as described previously, is stored within their system.
- MailChimp manages our email processing, including storing our mailing list details.
- Microsoft Outlook is used for email correspondence, including when you contact us using the Contact Form on our website.
- Etsy hosts our online shop. All information about product orders, billing and shipping information is stored there.
- Facebook hosts our business page.
- Instagram is another social media platform we use to engage with our audience. Any comments or direct messages are stored within their system.
- Australia Post is the delivery service we use for posting physical products within Australia.
In order to provide you with efficient services, many of these third parties share information with each other. For example, if you sign up to our mailing list on our website, your information will automatically be transferred to MailChimp so that you can receive our future emails.
As these third parties are located overseas they may not be subject to Australian Privacy Laws, and your information may be transferred to a country other than where you live. For these reasons it is important for you to understand the privacy policies (or data policies) of the above-mentioned companies. Click on the name of each company above to read their relevant policy.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. These rights are described below:
- Access: You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting us using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete: You may also have rights to change, restrict our use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where we are required to store data for legal reasons) we will generally delete your personal information upon request where we are able to do so, or direct you to the appropriate third party provider to fulfil that request where necessary.
- Object: You can object to (i) our processing of some of your information based on our legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from us after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, we will delete your personal information unless we have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain: If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
how to contact us
If you have any queries or concerns about how we collect, use or store your information, please contact us via either the Contact button in the header of this website or our mailing address: PO Box 408, Oaklands Park SA 5046, Australia.